A quick rice dish that can be rustled up using any combination of protein and vegetables that you have at hand. After binge watching two entire seasons of Hyori’s Bed and Breakfast on Netflix I really admired their simple living philosophy, meaningful and fun lifestyle. I was feeling inspired to recreate a take on the kimchi fried rice the hosts served to their guests.
- 2 cups of rice Jasmine or Calrose (Day old rice is best or same day rice cooled down and refrigerated a few hours before )
- 1 cup diced kimchi
- 2 tbsp kimchi juice
- 1 tbsp Gochujang ( red pepper paste)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- Half Onion
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Mussels and Shrimp
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
Optional (for garnish):
- Green Onion
- Roasted seaweed
- In a small bowl, combine the gochujang, kimchi juice, soy sauce.
- Next, heat cooking oil on a medium heat. Then add the onion and garlic stirring until translucent. Add the seafood.
- Add cooked rice and stir in the chopped kimchi.
- Combine the gochujang sauce mixture. Cook until sauce coats the rice and the rice is fully reheated. Turn off heat and stir in sesame oil.
- In a separate pan fry a couple of eggs.
- Serve with with green onion and sesame seeds on top.