Make some of these delicious bouncy chewy homemade knife cut egg noodles to mark the Lunar New Year. They are very versatile and can be used in soups or in a stir-fry. These noodles are definitely better than those that are store-bought and only require four basic ingredients. Today we bid farewell to the Year of the Rat and welcome the Year of the Ox 2021. The Chinese zodiac calendar is represented by 12 different animals. The Ox zodiac sign is believed to symbolize strength, patience and a hard-working nature. As a nod to the Ox’s zodiac character, I dusted off a novelty apron with the words “Don’t mess with the chef!” emblazoned on the front and rolled up my sleeves ready work the dough.
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- Combine flour, eggs, salt and water in a large mixing bowl.
- Knead by hand for 15 mins.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 -45 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Take one half and roll with a rolling pin. Keep rolling until it becomes a large round sheet.
- Flour both sides generously to avoid sticking.
- Fold the dough into 4 layers.
- With a sharp knife cut the dough. If you prefer thicker or thinner noodles cut accordingly.
- Once cut toss the noodles with flour to prevent them from sticking.
- Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
- You can store the noodles in the fridge for later for noodle soup or stir-frying.
- Or they are ready to eat simple boil the noodles in water for 1- 4 minutes depending on thickness.