Pei Mussels have long been proclaimed as a “Power food”. These mussels seem to be a healthy choice and are harvested with environmental sustainability in mind. They are small in size but they have a mighty nutritional profile. Mussels are an excellent source of B12, Iron, Protein, Vitamin C, Antioxidants, Zinc and Selenium. Since finding out their impressive nutrients I thought I would give them a try at home. The seafood flavor really does all the talking and adds a natural sweetness to this dish. Are you a shellfish lover? How do you cook yours?
- 2lbs Pei mussels
- 10 calamari rings
- 10oz fettuccine pasta
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- bouillon stock cube
- butter (knob)
- olive oil
- parsley and dino kale (garnish)
- Wash and clean mussels get rid of any rope.
- Soak mussels in a large bowl of salt water (About 30 mins).
- Sweat the garlic in olive oil.
- Add the mussels and calamari.
- Add butter, stock cube and water.
- Put lid on cook for 5-7 minutes or until the shells open.
- In the meantime, cook pasta in boiling water.
- Plate pasta and seafood. Spoon on some of the broth (sauce) to the pasta.
- Drizzle olive oil on pasta as desired.
- Add parsley and kale for garnish.