This is my “grown-up” version of a classic comfort food. Try this slightly elevated take on a school lunch favorite. I added creamy red lentils for extra protein and for a nutty profile.
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups of macaroni elbow pasta
- 1 cup of Swiss/Parmesan cheese
- 1.5 cup of cashew/almond milk ( milk of choice)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup peas
- basil and parsley for garnish
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.
- Add pasta and lentils. Cook until tender (approx. 10 mins) and drain in a colander.
- In another large saucepan melt butter and then add flour to create roux. Stir until creamy then add milk and cheese.
- Add the drained lentils and pasta back to the roux mixture. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and Dijon mustard. Coat the pasta and turn off the heat.
- Lastly garnish with peas, basil and parsley for extra flavor. Enjoy!