Lemongrass has a distinct flavor. I would describe it as a mix of lemons, mint, and ginger (without the spiciness). It has a mild sweetness without any tartness. To be economical I used frozen lemongrass that was already finely chopped. What I love about this dish is that the chicken itself is very flavorful, so it goes so well with the fresh crunchy vegetables and rice noodles.
- 6 chicken tenders
- 3 tbsp lemongrass
- 3 cups rice noodles
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 2 cups kale
- 1/4 carrot
- 1 lime (1/2 for marinade)
- 1 mini cucumber
- In a glass container with a lid combine the chicken, soy sauce, sugar,fish sauce, garlic, lime ,vegetable oil and hoisin sauce. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator ideally overnight or at least one hour.
- Coat a non-stick pan with vegetable oil on a medium heat.
- Add the chicken and all the marinade sauce.
- Heat until they are cooked all the way through.
- Add 1/2 cup water to thicken sauce. More if necessary.
- Soak dried rice noodles in cold water until they become soft.
- Blanch noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Braise the cabbage , carrot and kale with a splash of water.
- cut the mini cucumber into slices
Assemble the chicken, noodles and vegetables on your favorite bowl. Lastly, squeeze the remaining lime juice over the chicken and you are all set.