This easy Tofu and Eggplant Stir-fry recipe is loaded with the most delicious velvety oyster sauce. It imparts a “meaty” rich savory flavor which adds depth to the soft eggplant and plain tofu.
Eggplant, aubergine and brinjal. What do you call them?
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 firm tofu block
- 3 Chinese eggplants (aubergine, brinjal)
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 4 tbsp water (for sauce -more if required)
- 1/2 cup water (to braise eggplant)
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1 stalk green onion (cut with scissors)
- Wash and cook rice in rice cooker/ or on the stove top.
- Cut egg plant into 2-3 inch pieces. Wash and drain in a colander.
- Slice tofu block in half, then cut in half again, and divide into triangle shapes.
- Add a splash of oil in a wok and stir-fry the egg plant. Add 1/2 cup of water and put a lid on. Cook for 8-10 minutes (or until tender)
- Add tofu to the pot
- In a bowl mix the oyster sauce, sugar, corn starch and 4 tbsp (water) together. Add the sauce to the pot.
- Coat the tofu and egg plant with the sauce. Allow the sauce to thicken. Add more water if required. Turn off heat.
- Steam kale.
- Serve immediately with rice.