It’s no secret chickpeas (garbanzo beans) have long been regarded as a nutritionally dense food. Reportedly high in several important nutrients including fiber, iron, and protein. Homemade hummus is versatile and can be customized to suit your own taste buds. This caramelized onion version did not disappoint. It pairs well with crunchy classic vegetables such as carrots or cucumbers. As well as generously slathered on your favorite bread. What do you pair hummus with?
Makes approx 5-6 cups hummus depending on the size of the chickpeas
- 2 cups dried chickpeas
- 1/4 Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 lemon (juice)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- Wash chickpeas and soak in water for at least 1 hour.
- Cook chickpeas until tender. 1/2 hour in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water.
- In a pan add 1 tablespoon olive oil and add sliced onions.
- Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar.
- Caramelize slowly on a low-medium heat (approx 20 minutes).
- In a food-processor add cooked chickpeas,onions,salt,lemon juice and 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Blend the ingredients until a smooth paste is formed.
- Remove from food-processor and enjoy.