Cozy up with this Chicken Pho for the soul. Pho pronounced “fuh” is an iconic Vietnamese rice noodle soup consisting of broth, rice noodles, herbs and usually meat. The real beauty of pho is that it looks rather unassuming, but the slowly simmered broth is infused with delicate notes of ginger and sweet onion. The warming chicken broth is accented by a pinch of sugar and dashes of fish sauce. It is simple, fresh, and fragrant.The best chicken pho that I have ever tried was at a phenomenal Vietnamese restaurant, their unique broth and their in-house made noodle was truly gold standard. A family recipe from Vietnam that has been passed down from many generations. Unfortunately, I moved so I cannot visit this outstanding place anymore.
As an alternative, this is my variation of home-cooked simple Chicken Pho. I’ve tried and tested this Chicken Pho recipe using frozen chicken thighs and tenders, which yields a richer chicken flavor without having to simmer it for hours.
- 10 cups of water
- 12oz rice noodles
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 chicken tenders
- 1 yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk green onion (chopped)
- 1 lime
- 1 thumb of ginger
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch Chinese five spice powder
- Place the rice noodles in a large mixing bowl. Cover with warm water and soak for 20 minutes, until softened.
- While the noodles are soaking, heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Peel the ginger and cut into smaller pieces.
- Peel and chop the onion into slices.
- Add the ginger and chopped onion to the pot and cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the water, chicken thighs, and chicken tenders. Increase the heat to high, cover, and bring to a simmer.
- Add fish sauce, sugar, salt and then add a pinch of five spice (only use a tiny amount as it is very aromatic)
- Simmer for about 30 -60 minutes or until fully cooked. Add more water, if necessary. Remove from the heat.
- After 20 minutes of soaking, drain the rice noodles, then quickly blanch them in another pot of boiling water.
- Remove the chicken from the broth.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the shredded chicken. Ladle the hot pho broth over the noodles into a bowl. Add a squeeze of lime juice, green onions, and any other favorite toppings.
- Enjoy immediately.
If you like this recipe you may like these :