Shrimp/prawn fried rice one of my favorite comfort foods because it is easy to make and transforms leftover cooked white rice. It can be fully customized with the vegetables and protein that you like. The succulent shrimp, juicy peas and sweetcorn add delicious texture. Also, the hits of green onion and sesame oil add extra umami to this basic dish.
Serves 3-4 people
- 3.5 cups cooked cold white rice
- 4 oz shrimps
- 3 eggs
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen sweetcorn
- 3/4 cups frozen green peas
- 1 stalk green onion
- 1/4 cup tofu skin
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- sesame oil
- canola oil
How to make Shrimp Fried Rice:
- Wash and dice carrots into small bite-sized pieces.
- Wash and slice the green onion stalk.
- In a small bowl, crack the eggs whisk and add a pinch of salt.
- Cook shrimp in a pot of boiling water until fully cooked, peel shell if required and set aside.
- Heat up a wok or large non-stick pot and then add 1 tbsp of canola oil.
- Add the whisked eggs and cook until 80% cooked through, remove, and set aside.
- Add the diced carrots to the wok/ pot and saute for about 5 minutes, until almost tender. Then add the tofu skin, frozen peas and sweetcorn.
- Next add the cooked white rice, light soy sauce and dark soy sauce.
- Mix well to ensure all the rice is coated.
- Season with white pepper and toss in the sliced green onions. Combine the cooked egg and shrimp with the rice.
- When the rice is fully heated through, generously drizzle sesame oil and turn off the heat.
- Plate and enjoy.